Point Wilson Lighthouse

Banner

Fort Warden State Park
200 Battery Way, Port Townsend, WA 98368

Supported by
Tours Interpretive
Center
Overnight
Stays
Weddings Giftshop Fresnel Lens
Yes No No No No Yes

Point Wilson Lighthouse

First lit in 1879, then rebuilt in 1913, Point Wilson Lighthouse at 51 feet high is the tallest beacon on Puget Sound. Marking the entrance to Admiralty Inlet and the turning point into the San Juan Islands, this lighthouse stands at Fort Worden State Park near the Victorian village of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula.

The lighthouse has a 4th order Fresnel lens, which beamed a white light on for 15 seconds, then off 5 seconds, with one red flash during the occultation. The light was automated in 1976, and is monitored by a computer located at the Coast Guard Air Station at nearby Port Angeles.The Fresnel lens was decommissioned in 2008, and a modern beacon (with the same red and white signal) was mounted on the railing to replace it.

Point Wilson Lighthouse is open for tours on Saturdays in May through September from 1:00 to 4:00, and for special tours on request.

Map & Directions