Turn Point Lighthouse
photos by Chad Kaiser
Lighthouse Road, Stuart Island, San Juan Islands, Washington
|No||Yes (mule barn)||No||No||No||No|
About Turn Point Lighthouse
Ships following Haro Strait on their way to the Strait of Juan de Fuca make a sharp turn at Stuart Island in the San Juan Islands. That’s why in 1893, the government funded the Turn Point Lighthouse, which had humble beginnings as a lantern and fog signal. A concrete tower was built in 1936, and an automated light added in 1974.
Today, Turn Point Lighthouse is part of the San Juan Islands National Monument. Scientists from the University of Washington use the lighthouse site to study migrating orcas.
Proceeds from the sale of Washington Lighthouse license plates have helped keep Turn Point Lighthouse shining with the following restoration projects:
- 2009 – Electrical wiring updated, $3,000
- 2011 – Repair mule barn, stairway and hayloft, $2,000
- 2012 – Oil shed restoration, $3,000
- 2013 – Fog watch building window replacement, $9,000
- 2014 – Asbestos tile removal and original flooring in the Head Keepers Quarters dining/living room, $4,840
Map & Directions